Including tonight we have had eight meetings in 2019. Attendance has averaged sixteen.
Some of the issues we have taken up include:
- Our ongoing campaign to solve the sewerage and stormwater pollution problems in Coogee.
- Issues around non-compliant DAs and the role of private certifiers
- Support for heritage, specifically the conservation area in Dudley and Brook Streets
- Issues relating to advertising hoarding around Coogee oval
- The noise and duration of the Coogee Bay Road upgrade, the impact on residents in Coogee Bay Rd, Brook St and Alfreda St and the quality of the result to date
- Commercial rubbish in residential Alfreda Street
- Aircraft noise including an increase in helicopter activity
- Councils night-time economy proposals
- Short term rentals
- Use of affordable housing SEPP by developers
- Late-night & early morning police activities in Coogee
- The state of beach structures on the lower beach promenade
- The proposed Conquer Coogee event
In addition, the Precinct took up the recognition of the contribution by the former Mayor and Precinct member, John Buchanan. Councillor Nielson took up the issue and John Buchanan Place is now a reality, ushered in with a warm and wonderful ceremony provided by Council and attended by Johns wife Del and family, many from the community, the Mayor, current Councillors and former Councillors and Mayors.
The Precinct proposed and pursued the use of vacant land in Neptune Street for a native bird sanctuary and outdoor gym. Councillor Matson took up the issue and Council approved it go out for public consultation. There was overwhelming support for the bird sanctuary and good support for the gym. Both are now budgeted and the Precinct will be involved in the design.
I would like to acknowledge the support provided by Council specifically Amanda Mather.
I would also like to thank Councillors Nielson and Matson for supporting us by attending meetings and taking up issues raised around the table.
Finally, thank all of you for your support through the year and especially thank Carla for her work as Secretary – answering all of those emails, preparing the agenda and the Minutes.
Mark England 18 November 2019