The Coogee Precinct is a volunteer group of residents who live in Coogee and South Coogee and who love Coogee.
We work to protect and improve the local area.
We meet every month and also maintain a large email list. Participants come from all walks of life and the one thing that brings us together is that we are passionate about Coogee and the local community. Our meetings are always well attended and each meeting brings new participants who come to raise concerns about local issues or to seek advice about a DA that affect them.
All residents (ratepayers and tenants) and property owners who live in the Precinct area are welcome to attend, take part in discussions and vote at the Precinct meetings. Residents from neighbouring areas who care about Coogee are also welcome to attend. The Precinct area extends from Alison Rd in the North, West to Mount Street and South to Torrington Rd – see map below.
We are one of 12 Precincts in the Randwick LGA. Randwick Council provides Precincts with meeting papers, DA lists and information about current consultations and Council sponsored events. Council also provides an opportunity for all the Precincts to get together through the Precinct Coordinating Committee which meets 2 or 3 times a year and is chaired by the General Manager.
We are all very fortunate in Randwick to have Precincts as they provide an invaluable means of finding out about how Council works and of communicating concerns.
To contact the Coogee Precinct email email@example.com
What does the Coogee Precinct do?
- Informs participants of Council decisions and processes
- Brings issues of local concern to the attention of Council
- Helps local residents make contact with the relevant section of Council
- Makes submissions to Council and other government agencies on local matters
- Participates in Council consultative processes – e.g Greening committee, Flood Study, Safety Committee
- Attends Police Community safety meetings and raises local concerns.
- Is one of the key voices of the community in the area
- Works with other Precincts on issues of wider concern
- Works with local community action groups to raise issues
Key Issues for the Coogee Precinct
- Licensed premises – late night trading, concentration, size, Last Drinks Campaign
- Commercial activity in foreshore area – B2 zoning, expansion, use of public land
- 12 m foreshore height limit – threats, proposal for Coogee Bay Hotel site
- Planning – non compliance, overdevelopment, impact on residential amenity, sewerage, traffic & parking
- Parks, reserves & other public open space – alienation, encroachment, built structures, special interest groups
- The beach – litter, alcohol, fitness groups, water quality, enforcement issues
- Living together – backpackers, students, noise, antisocial behavior, planning controls
- Character of Coogee – Seaside village NOT Kings Cross by the sea